The Best Middle Eastern Basbosa Recipe
Learn How To Make The Best Middle Eastern Basbosa Recipe easily at home with basic ingredients and without any effort.
Basbosa pie or cake, also known as Semolina cake. Served as a snack with a cup of tea or coffee.
This Basbosa is moist, light, super easy to make, and so tasty. Filled with a flavorful cream, soaked with sweet syrup, and topped with Pistachios.
So, try it and enjoy it with your family.
The Batter :
- 1/2 cup of fine semolina
- 1/4 cup of coarse semolina
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 mixed cup of melted butter and oil
- 1/4 cup of coconut
- 1 egg
- 80g of sour cream
- 1/4 of milk
The cream cheese custard:
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tbsp of cornstarch
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 100g of cream cheese
- 2 tbsp of plain yogurt
The syrup :
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- Pistachios and coconut for decoration
Making the batter:
- Firstly, in a bowl, add 1/2 cup of fine semolina, 1/4 of coarse semolina, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/8 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of baking powder, and 1/2 mixed cup of melted butter and oil, and mix it all together. And let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Then, add 1 cup of coconut, 1 egg, 80g of sour cream, and 1/2 cup of milk, and mix it well until nicely incorporated and combined.
- In a baking pan of 20cm, lined with parchment paper, pour half of the mixture into the pan.
- Then, in a preheated oven at 350F°, bake the cake for about 15 minutes.
Making the cream cheese custard:
- In a pot at medium heat, add 1 cup of milk, 1 tbsp of sugar, and 2 tbsp of cornstarch, and mix all together. Then, keep stirring until thickened.
- Then, add 1 tsp of vanilla extract, and keep mixing.
- Add 100g of cream cheese, and 2 tbsp of plain yogurt, and keep mixing until smooth and nice cream.
- Then, pour the cream on top of the cake, and flatten it well with a spatula or a sharp knife. Let it cool slightly.
- Pour the rest of the batter on the cream, put it on the top rack, and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Making the syrup:
- In a pot, add 1 cup of sugar, and 1 cup of water. Then, boil for about 5 minutes.
- Then, add 1 tsp of lemon juice and remove from the heat.
- Next, syrup the cake evenly, let it cool down, and absorb the syrup for about 1 hour.
- Then, cover and refrigerate for about 3 hours or more.
- After that, sprinkle some pistachios and coconut.
- Finally, serve and enjoy with your family