Learn How to Make Moroccan Donuts easily at home with everyday ingredients, it requires some time to be ready but it is worth the try.
These Homemade donuts are the best ones for me, soft interior and crunchy on the outside. Also, you can dust them with granulated sugar, or just eat them simply, they can be enjoyed with a cup of Moroccan mint tea.
SFENJ is usually served for breakfast or tea time. You can purchase it from street vendors, or make it by yourself at home.
So, why not give it a shot, all the members of your family will love it and enjoy it.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- A pinch of granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp of instant yeast
- 300ml of warm water, divided
- 1 tsp of salt
- Vegetable oïl for frying
How to Make Moroccan Donuts (SFENJ):
- Firstly, in a large bowl, add 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp of salt, 2 tbsp of granulated sugar, and 1 tbsp of instant yeast. Then, mix the dry ingredients together to combine.
- Now, gradually add water and beat all together with your hands, or a wooden spoon for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until you get a sticky dough. Then, cover it and let it rest for about 20 minutes. Repeat this process 3 times.
- Grease your hands and shape the dough into small balls like a plum, and line it in a tray.
- In a large pot, heat an important amount of vegetable oil, and use your fingers to make a hole in the middle of your ball dough to get the form of a ring. Then, put your donuts in the heated oil (each time you want to place a ball grease your hands to prevent sticking), and don’t overcrowd the pot. Repeat the process until you finish all the shaped dough.
- Fry your SFENJ from both sides until golden brown.
- Then, place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain them from the oil.
- Finally, serve them hot with a cup of tea or whatever you desire.
Enjoy your delicious homemade donuts (SFENJ)!