Easy Beef and Potato Pie Recipe
Learn how to make an Easy Beef and Potato Pie Recipe easily at home. A beef and potato pie is a savory baked dish that typically consists of tender chunks of beef, diced potatoes, and vegetables, all enveloped in a rich, flavorful gravy, and then baked inside a pastry crust until golden and crisp. The dish is popular in many parts of the world, particularly in the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand.
The filling for a beef and potato pie can be made using a variety of different ingredients, depending on personal preference and regional traditions. However, some common ingredients include onions, carrots, peas, celery, and herbs such as thyme and rosemary.
The pastry crust for the pie is usually made from flour, butter, and water, and may be either shortcrust or puff pastry. The pie is typically baked in a deep dish, and the pastry is rolled out to cover the top of the dish, with a vent or hole in the center to allow steam to escape during baking.
The resulting beef and potato pie is a hearty and satisfying meal that can be served as a main course for lunch or dinner, often accompanied by sides such as mashed potatoes, green beans, or a simple green salad.
Here is a recipe for a classic beef and potato pie:
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 1 tsp of dried rosemary
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- 3 cups of diced potatoes
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
How to make Easy Beef and Potato Pie Recipe:
- Firstly, preheat your oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until browned. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Then, add the diced potatoes and beef broth, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover the skillet and cook until the potatoes are tender about 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and 1/4 cup of cold water. Add the mixture to the skillet and stir well. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened.
- Roll out one sheet of puff pastry and line the bottom of a 9-inch pie dish with it. Spoon the beef and potato mixture into the dish.
- Then, roll out the second sheet of puff pastry and place it on top of the filling. Use a knife to cut a few slits in the pastry to allow steam to escape. Then, brush the top of the pastry with a beaten egg.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Finally, allow the