Easy Chocolate Babka Recipe To Make
Here is an Easy Chocolate Babka Recipe to make easily at home. Chocolate babka is a sweet, rich, yeast bread that’s full of layers of chocolate and a streusel topping. The bread is typically made with a brioche dough, which is enriched with eggs, butter, and milk, giving it a soft and tender texture.
The filling is a mixture of melted chocolate, butter, sugar, cocoa powder, and cinnamon, which is spread over the rolled-out dough before it’s rolled up into a spiral. The streusel topping is made with flour, sugar, and chilled butter that’s cut into small pieces, giving the babka a crunchy and crumbly texture on top.
The finished babka has a beautiful marbled appearance, with swirls of chocolate running through the soft, tender bread. It’s typically served in slices and can be enjoyed for breakfast, as a snack, or as a dessert.
Chocolate babka is a traditional Eastern European Jewish pastry, and it’s become popular all over the world. Its rich, sweet flavor and beautiful appearance make it a beloved treat for people of all ages.
So, here’s a classic recipe for a chocolate babka:
For the dough:
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp of (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup of warm milk
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, softened
For the filling:
- 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
For the streusel:
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp of milk
- Firstly, in a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and yeast.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the warm milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until a shaggy dough forms.
- Then, add the softened butter and knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a damp towel, and let it rise in a warm, draft-free area for about an hour or until it has doubled in size. While the dough is rising, make the filling. In a double boiler, melt together the chocolate chips and butter. Add the sugar, cocoa powder, and cinnamon and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- For the streusel, mix together the flour and sugar in a small bowl. Add the chilled cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to mix until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Then, preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough out into a rectangle that’s about 16×12 inches. Then, spread the chocolate filling evenly over the dough, leaving about 1/2 inch of space around the edges. Sprinkle the streusel over the filling.
- Starting from the long side, roll the dough up tightly like a jelly roll. Pinch the ends to seal and tuck them under the loaf. Place the babka in the prepared loaf pan.
- Then, bake the babka for about 45-50 minutes or until it’s golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped. Let the babka cool in the pan for about 10-15 minutes before removing it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the babka is cooling, make the glaze. Whisk together the powdered sugar and milk until a smooth glaze forms. Once the babka is cool, drizzle the glaze over the top.
- Finally, slice and serve!