How To Make The Tres Leches Cake Recipe
Learn How To Make The Tres Leches Cake easily at Home. Tres Leches Cake is a classic Latin American dessert that translates to “three milk cake.” As the name suggests, the cake is soaked in a mixture of three different types of milk: evaporated milk, condensed milk, and heavy cream. This results in a moist, dense, and decadent cake with a sweet and creamy flavor.
The cake itself is typically a light and fluffy sponge cake made with flour, eggs, sugar, and sometimes a little bit of butter. It’s baked until it’s lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Once the cake is baked, it is pierced all over with a fork to allow the milk mixture to soak in. The mixture of evaporated milk, condensed milk, and heavy cream is poured over the cake, allowing it to soak in overnight in the refrigerator. The result is a deliciously moist and creamy cake that’s perfect for serving as a dessert.
To finish the cake, it is topped with a layer of whipped cream and sometimes garnished with fresh fruit, nuts, or a dusting of cinnamon. The whipped cream helps balance the sweetness of the milk mixture and adds a light and fluffy texture to the cake. So, here is a recipe for Tres Leches Cake:
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
For the milk mixture:
- 1 can (14 oz) of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 oz) of evaporated milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
For the whipped cream:
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Set aside. And in a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Then, beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually mix the flour mixture, alternating with the milk until everything is well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Then, bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the milk mixture. In a large bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, heavy cream, and vanilla extract until smooth. Once the cake is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- While the cake is still warm, pierce the surface all over with a fork. This will help the milk mixture soak into the cake. Then, pour the milk mixture over the cake, making sure to cover the entire surface. Use a spatula to spread it out if necessary.
- Cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, make the whipped cream by whisking together the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until soft peaks form. Then, spread the whipped cream over the top of the chilled cake.
- Finally, serve cold and enjoy your delicious Tres Leches Note:
- This cake is best eaten within 2-3 days of being made, as it can become soggy if left in the refrigerator for too long.