The Best Moroccan Barley Soup (HSSOUA)
Here is The Best Moroccan Barley soup that you can usually make on these cold days. This white soup is also known as HSSOUA, BELBOULA, or DCHICHA.
Made with barley, milk, and herbs. Also, full of deliciousness, goodness, and a ton of flavors.
Furthermore, you can serve this flavorful barley soup for breakfast, or as a light dinner with dates, it is easy to make with handy ingredients. Also, you can garnish it with a line of olive oil, and sprinkle cumin on top. It takes about 35 to 40 minutes to be ready.
So, give it a try and let me know how is it going with you. And your family will love it.
- 2 cups of barley, or 1 bowl
- 1/2 of grated onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of cumin
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp of fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tsp of dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp of aniseeds
- 1/4 tsp of nigella seeds
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Water as needed
- 2 cups of milk. (You can control the consistency of your soup; add more or less).
How to make Moroccan Barley soup:
- Firstly, wash the barley twice, or until the water is clean, and drain it with a fine sieve, grate the onion, and chop your garlic.
- Then, in a large pot at medium heat, pour the barley, add 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1/2 of an onion, 2 cloves of chopped garlic, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp of black pepper, 1/4 tsp of cumin, 1/4 tsp of ginger powder, 1/4 tsp of fenugreek seeds, 1/4 tsp of aniseeds, 1/4 tsp of nigella seeds, mix it all together.
- Then, pour the water, mix it well, and cook for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until the barley is thick and the grains are tender. Stir occasionally during cooking.
- Now, pour the milk, stir, and simmer for just a few minutes. Then, sprinkle 1/4 tsp of dried thyme on top, and turn off the heat.
- Finally, pour your ready barley soup into a bowl, drizzle some olive oil, and sprinkle cumin on top.
- Serve and enjoy.
- If you’re not into the herbs mentioned above, do not add them keep it simple just with basic seasoning (Salt, cumin, black pepper, and dried thyme), and enjoy.
- You can adjust the thickness of your soup by adding more milk or less.
- You can also save your hssoua leftovers for up to 3 days in the fridge, when you decide to have your soup, reheat it and add more water or more milk for the ideal texture.