Here is The Best Drum Fish Tagine Recipe that you should absolutely try at home. Drum fish tagine is a flavorful and aromatic dish that combines the delicate and firm flesh of drum fish with a rich blend of spices, vegetables, and herbs. Tagine refers to the dish’s name and the traditional Moroccan clay pot used to cook it.
The drum fish, also known as red drum or redfish, is a popular seafood choice due to its mild and slightly sweet flavor. It has a firm texture that holds up well during cooking, making it ideal for simmering in a tagine.
To prepare drum fish tagine.
The fish is typically seasoned with a mixture of spices such as paprika, cumin, turmeric, coriander, and cinnamon. The fish is then seared briefly to develop a golden crust and enhance its flavor.
Next, a fragrant base is created by sautéing onions, garlic, and ginger in olive oil or butter. This mixture forms the foundation of the tagine, providing depth and richness to the dish.
Various vegetables are often added to the tagine, such as bell peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, and carrots. These vegetables contribute their own flavors and textures, complementing the drum fish. Additionally, dried fruits like raisins or apricots are sometimes included to add a touch of sweetness.
Once the vegetables have softened, the seared drum fish is nestled in the tagine. The dish is then gently simmered or baked in the oven, allowing the flavors to meld together and the fish to cook through.
The tagine’s lid helps to retain moisture and concentrates the flavors as the dish cooks. This traditional cooking method produces tender fish and vegetables infused with aromatic spices and herbs.
Drum fish tagine is often garnished with fresh herbs such as cilantro or parsley, which add a vibrant and refreshing element to the dish. It is typically served hot, accompanied by couscous or crusty bread to soak up the flavorful sauce. So, here’s a recipe for drum fish tagine:
- 1.5 lbs (680g) drum fish fillets
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, grated
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 4 potatoes, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tomatoes on top of the tagine
- Half of a preserved lemon
- Fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Firstly, rinse the drum fish fillets under cold water and pat them dry with paper towels. Cut the fillets into smaller pieces if desired. Season the fish with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a tagine over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and grated tomatoes and sauté until it becomes translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic, grated ginger, paprika, cumin, turmeric, coriander, and cinnamon. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes to toast the spices and release their flavors.
- Then, add the sliced bell pepper, sliced carrots, and sliced potatoes to the tagine. Stir everything together and cook for about 5 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Gently place the seasoned drum fish fillets on top of the vegetable mixture in the tagine. Then, add slices of tomatoes, and some lemon wedges.
- Cover until the fish is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork. Once done, remove the tagine from the heat and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Finally, garnish the drum fish tagine with fresh cilantro or parsley. And serve the tagine hot with crusty bread, or Moroccan bread (KHOBZ) to soak up the flavorful sauce.
Enjoy your delicious drum fish Download WordPress Themes Free