Detroit-Style Pizza Recipe To Make
Detroit-Style Pizza Recipe is a unique and iconic style of pizza that originated in Detroit, Michigan. It is characterized by its distinctive rectangular shape, thick and airy crust, crispy edges, and toppings layered in reverse order compared to traditional pizza. The result is a pizza with a delightful interplay of textures and flavors.
One of the defining features of Detroit-style pizza is its crust. It is thick, yet light and airy on the inside, with a beautifully crisp and caramelized exterior. The dough is often made with bread flour, which gives it a chewy texture, and it is typically proofed for an extended period to develop its characteristic flavor and structure.
The crust is baked in a rectangular pan that has been generously greased with butter or oil. As the pizza bakes, the oil in the pan creates a crispy, golden-brown crust on the bottom and sides of the pizza, while the interior remains tender and light.
Another notable aspect of Detroit-style pizza is the order in which the ingredients are assembled. Traditionally, the cheese is spread to the edges of the pan, forming a layer that slightly caramelizes and creates a delicious cheesy crust. The sauce is then ladled over the cheese, and finally, the toppings are added.
The cheese used in Detroit-style pizza is often shredded mozzarella, which melts and becomes gooey and stringy as it bakes. The sauce is typically a tomato-based sauce with a slightly sweet and tangy flavor, providing a perfect complement to the richness of the cheese and crust.
The toppings on Detroit-style pizza can vary, but popular choices include pepperoni, sliced onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, and even Detroit’s signature ingredient, brick cheese. The toppings are typically placed on top of the sauce, allowing them to cook and meld together with the cheese and crust.
Once the pizza is baked to perfection, it is typically sliced into squares or rectangles, making it easy to share and enjoy. Each bite offers a satisfying combination of textures, with the crunch of the crust, the gooey cheese, and the burst of flavors from the sauce and toppings.
Detroit-style pizza has gained popularity beyond its namesake city and has become beloved by pizza enthusiasts around the world. Its unique style and delicious taste make it a standout choice for pizza lovers seeking something different and satisfying. So, here’s a recipe for Detroit-style pizza:
Ingredients for the Dough:
- 3 1/4 cups of bread flour
- 2 teaspoons of instant yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 1/4 cups of warm water
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
Ingredients for the Pizza:
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup of pizza sauce
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Toppings of your choice (e.g., pepperoni, sliced onions, bell peppers, mushrooms)
- Firstly, combine the bread flour, instant yeast, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Gradually add the warm water and olive oil to the dry ingredients. Stir until a shaggy dough forms. Then, transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes until the dough becomes smooth and elastic.
- Grease another bowl with olive oil and place the dough in it. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth or plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm place for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours until it doubles in size.
- Preheat your oven to 475°F (245°C). Then, generously grease a 9×13-inch rectangular baking pan with 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Transfer the risen dough to the greased baking pan and press it out to fill the pan evenly. If the dough resists stretching, let it rest for a few minutes and try again.
- Cover the pan with a damp cloth or plastic wrap and let the dough rise again for about 20-30 minutes.
- Once the dough has risen, use your fingers to press it gently to the edges of the pan, creating a slightly thicker edge around the perimeter. Then, spread the pizza sauce evenly over the dough, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over the sauce, covering the entire pizza.
- Add your desired toppings, such as pepperoni, sliced onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, or any other toppings you prefer. Then, place the pizza in the preheated oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and let it cool in the pan for a few minutes. Then, use a spatula to carefully lift the pizza from the pan and transfer it to a cutting board. Slice it into squares or rectangles.
- Finally, serve the Detroit-style pizza hot and enjoy!
Detroit-style pizza is known for its thick, square-shaped crust with crispy edges and a soft, airy interior. The rich, buttery flavor of the crust pairs perfectly with the tangy pizza sauce, melted cheese, and your favorite toppings. It’s a delicious and unique style of pizza that is sure to satisfy your cravings!