Lemon Cookies Recipe to Make at Home
Soft Lemon Cookies Recipe is a delightful and tangy treat that combines the refreshing flavors of lemon with a soft, tender texture. These cookies are a popular choice for those who enjoy a subtle citrus kick in their desserts. Here’s a more detailed description of these delicious cookies:
Appearance: Soft lemon cookies typically have a pale golden color with a slightly cracked surface. The powdered sugar coating adds a touch of elegance and sweetness, making them visually appealing and inviting.
Texture: As the name suggests, these cookies have a soft and chewy texture, reminiscent of cake-like cookies. The inside is tender and moist, providing a pleasant contrast to the slightly crispy exterior. Biting into one, you’ll experience a slight resistance before the cookie gives way, releasing a burst of lemony goodness.
Flavor: The flavor of soft lemon cookies is the star of the show. They are bright, zesty, and tangy, thanks to the use of fresh lemon zest and juice. The lemon flavor is well-balanced, not overpowering, and leaves a refreshing aftertaste. The cookies’ sweetness is also nicely complemented by the tartness of the lemons, creating a perfect harmony of flavors.
Aroma: When baking these cookies, the aroma of fresh lemon will fill your kitchen, creating a mouthwatering ambiance. The scent is inviting and promises a delightful treat ahead.
Versatility: Soft lemon cookies are a versatile dessert that can be enjoyed year-round. They are perfect for afternoon tea, picnics, brunch gatherings, or simply as a sweet indulgence. The light and citrusy nature of these cookies make them particularly enjoyable during warmer months.
Appeal: Soft lemon cookies have a wide appeal, loved by both children and adults alike. Their comforting and nostalgic taste often brings back fond memories of grandma’s kitchen and homemade treats. So, here’s a simple recipe to make these delicious cookies:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 and 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (for coating)
- Firstly, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Then, beat in the eggs, one at a time, and then add the vanilla extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing just until the dough comes together. Be careful not to overmix.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Chilling the dough helps prevent spreading during baking.
- Once the dough has chilled, take it out of the refrigerator. Scoop out portions of dough and roll them into 1-inch balls.
- Then, roll each ball in powdered sugar to coat it completely, then place the coated dough balls on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden.
- Then, remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies have cooled, you can optionally dust them with more powdered sugar for an extra touch of sweetness and a beautiful presentation.
Enjoy your soft and zesty lemon cookies! They are perfect for afternoon tea or as a refreshing dessert on warm days. Store any leftovers in an airtight container to keep them fresh for a few days.