How To Make a Mahi Tacos Recipe
Learn How To Make a Delicious Mahi Tacos Easily at Home. Mahi Mahi tacos are a popular and delicious seafood dish that features tender and flavorful Mahi Mahi fish, wrapped in warm corn tortillas, and topped with a variety of fresh and vibrant ingredients.
The star of the dish is the Mahi Mahi, also known as dolphinfish or dorado, which has a mild and slightly sweet flavor with a firm and flaky texture. The fish is seasoned with a blend of spices like chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder, which add a hint of smokiness and enhance the natural flavors of the fish.
Once the Mahi Mahi fillets are grilled to perfection, they are flaked into smaller pieces, making it easier to assemble the tacos. Moreover, The warm corn tortillas provide a soft and slightly chewy base that holds all the ingredients together.
To add a refreshing crunch and a burst of color, shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix is used as a topping. It adds a nice textural contrast to the tender fish. Other toppings like diced red onion, diced tomatoes, and fresh cilantro contribute to the overall flavor profile of the tacos, providing a balance of freshness, tanginess, and herbaceousness.
Also, a creamy and tangy sauce made with mayonnaise, lime juice, cilantro, and garlic is drizzled over the tacos, tying all the flavors together. It adds a creamy element and a zesty kick that complements the Mahi Mahi and the other ingredients.
Squeezing a lime wedge over the assembled tacos just before eating adds a bright and citrusy element that enhances the flavors and brings everything together.
The combination of the seasoned Mahi Mahi, the fresh toppings, and the flavorful sauce creates a harmonious blend of textures and flavors in each bite. These Mahi Mahi tacos are perfect for a casual and satisfying meal, whether enjoyed as a main course or as a part of a taco bar spread. So, here’s a recipe for Mahi Mahi tacos:
- 1 pound (450g) of Mahi Mahi fillets
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1 cup of shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup of diced red onion
- 1/4 cup of diced tomatoes
- Lime wedges, for serving
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Firstly, preheat your grill or stovetop grill pan to medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper to create a spice rub. Then, rub the spice mixture evenly over the Mahi Mahi fillets. Drizzle the fillets with olive oil.
- Place the Mahi Mahi fillets on the preheated grill and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until the fish is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork. Remove from heat and let it rest for a few minutes.
- While the fish is cooking, prepare the sauce by combining the mayonnaise, lime juice, cilantro, minced garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Stir well to combine and set aside.
- Then, warm the corn tortillas on the grill for a minute on each side or wrap them in foil and heat them in the oven.
- Once the Mahi Mahi fillets have rested, use a fork to flake the fish into smaller pieces.
- Then, to assemble the tacos spread a spoonful of the sauce on each tortilla. Top with some shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix, flaked Mahi Mahi, diced red onion, diced tomatoes, and fresh cilantro.
- Finally, serve the Mahi Mahi tacos with lime wedges on the side for squeezing over the top.
Enjoy your delicious Mahi Mahi tacos!