Gnocchi Bolognese To Make easily at Home with handy ingredients. Gnocchi Bolognese is a classic Italian dish that combines tender potato dumplings (gnocchi) with a rich and flavorful Bolognese sauce. It’s a comforting and satisfying meal that brings together the best of both worlds.
The gnocchi used in this dish are small, soft dumplings made from a dough of mashed potatoes, flour, and sometimes eggs. They have a pillowy texture that provides a delightful contrast to the hearty meat sauce.
The Bolognese sauce is the star of the dish, featuring a mixture of ground beef, aromatic vegetables, tomatoes, and herbs. The ground beef is cooked until browned, then combined with sautéed onions, garlic, carrots, and celery. Tomato paste and diced tomatoes are added to create a rich and tangy base, while red wine adds depth of flavor. The sauce is simmered low and slow, allowing all the flavors to meld together and create a robust and savory sauce.
When the gnocchi is cooked to perfection, it is tossed in the Bolognese sauce, ensuring that each dumpling is coated in the delicious meaty goodness. The gnocchi soak up the flavors of the sauce, creating a harmonious combination of textures and tastes.
So, to enhance the dish, grated Parmesan cheese is sprinkled on top, adding a nutty and salty element. Fresh basil leaves are used as a garnish, providing a touch of freshness and a pop of color.
Gnocchi Bolognese is a comforting and filling dish that is perfect for a cozy family dinner or when you’re craving a taste of Italy. It brings together the hearty flavors of the Bolognese sauce with the soft and delicate gnocchi, resulting in a satisfying and delicious meal. So, here’s a recipe for Gnocchi Bolognese:
- 1 pound of (450g) potato gnocchi
- 1 pound (450g) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 can of (14 ounces/400g) diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Firstly, heat the olive oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery. Sauté until the vegetables are softened and the onion is translucent.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook until browned, breaking it up with a spoon or spatula as it cooks. Then, Stir in the tomato paste and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour in the water and simmer for a few minutes to allow the liquid to evaporate.
- Then, add the diced tomatoes, dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and black pepper. Stir well to combine. Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for about 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together. If the sauce becomes too thick, you can add a little water or beef broth to thin it out.
- While the sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the gnocchi according to the package instructions until they float to the surface, which usually takes around 2-3 minutes. Drain the cooked gnocchi and set aside.
- Once the sauce has simmered and thickened, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Then, add the cooked gnocchi to the saucepan with the Bolognese sauce. Gently toss to coat the gnocchi evenly with the sauce.
- Finally, serve the Gnocchi Bolognese in individual bowls. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil leaves.
Enjoy your delicious homemade Gnocchi Bolognese!