Here is The Best Collard Green Pesto Recipe that you can make at Home. Collard green pesto is a vibrant and flavorful variation of the classic Italian sauce. It takes advantage of the nutritious and robust collard green leaves, giving the pesto a unique twist and a beautiful green color. This pesto is a great way to incorporate healthy greens into your meals while enjoying the traditional taste and versatility of pesto.
Collard green pesto offers a rich and slightly bitter flavor profile that pairs well with a variety of dishes. The collard greens bring a distinct earthiness, while the fresh basil adds a touch of sweetness and herbal aroma. The combination of these greens creates a dynamic balance of flavors that is both satisfying and refreshing.
To make collard green pesto, the collard greens are blanched briefly in boiling water and then shocked in ice water to preserve their vibrant green color. This process helps to tenderize the leaves and maintain their freshness. Blanched collard greens are then combined with basil leaves, grated Parmesan cheese, toasted pine nuts or walnuts, minced garlic, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
The collard greens and basil are the stars of this pesto, providing a nutritious boost to the sauce. Collard greens are packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber, making them a great addition to a healthy diet. The nuts contribute a pleasant crunch and add richness to the sauce, while the garlic imparts a subtle sharpness and depth of flavor. The Parmesan cheese adds a salty and nutty taste that enhances the overall savory profile of the pesto.
Once all the ingredients are blended together in a food processor, the collard green pesto is ready to be enjoyed. It can be used as a sauce for pasta, spread on sandwiches, or used as a dip or topping for vegetables, meats, or fish. The possibilities are endless!
Whether you’re seeking a nutrient-packed sauce or a fresh twist on traditional pesto, collard green pesto is a fantastic choice. Its vibrant color, bold flavors, and versatility make it a delicious addition to any meal. So, here’s a recipe for collard green pesto:
- 4 cups of packed collard greens, stems removed
- 1 cup of fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of toasted pine nuts or walnuts
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Firstly, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the collard greens and blanch for 1-2 minutes, until they are bright green and slightly tender. Drain and immediately transfer the collard greens to a bowl of ice water to cool. This helps retain their vibrant green color.
- Once the collard greens have cooled, drain them well and squeeze out any excess moisture.
- In a food processor, combine the blanched collard greens, basil leaves, Parmesan cheese, toasted pine nuts or walnuts, and minced garlic. Pulse a few times until the ingredients are roughly chopped and combined. Then, with the food processor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the mixture becomes smooth and well-blended. You may need to scrape down the sides of the food processor bowl occasionally to ensure everything is incorporated.
- Add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and pulse a few more times to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Then, transfer the collard green pesto to a jar or container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Finally, use the collard green pesto as a sauce for pasta, spread it on sandwiches, or use it as a dip or topping for vegetables, meats, or fish.
Enjoy your homemade collard green pesto! It offers a unique twist to traditional pesto, with the earthy flavors of collard greens complementing the freshness of basil and the nuttiness of pine nuts or walnuts.