Italian Chicken Soup Recipe is a comforting and hearty dish showcasing Italy’s flavors. With a rich broth, tender chicken, and an array of vegetables and herbs, it’s a satisfying meal that warms both body and soul.
The base of Italian chicken soup typically starts with a combination of sautéed onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and bell peppers. These aromatic vegetables create a flavorful foundation for the soup and add a pleasant texture. The sweetness of the onions and carrots, the earthiness of the celery, and the slight tanginess of the bell peppers all come together to enhance the overall taste.
The star of the soup is the chicken, usually boneless and skinless breasts, which are cut into small pieces or shredded. The chicken adds protein and a savory element to the soup. As it simmers in the broth, the chicken becomes tender and absorbs the delicious flavors of the other ingredients.
Speaking of the broth, it is typically made with chicken broth as a base, providing a rich and savory backdrop for the soup. Adding diced tomatoes adds depth and a hint of tanginess to the broth. A combination of dried basil, oregano, and thyme brings a traditional Italian herbaceousness to the soup, infusing it with fragrant and aromatic notes.
To complete the dish, small pasta such as shells or macaroni is added to the soup. The pasta cooks directly in the broth, absorbing the flavors and becoming tender. It adds substance to the soup, making it more filling and satisfying.
When served, you can often garnish the Italian chicken soup with fresh chopped parsley, which adds a pop of freshness and a vibrant green color. Grated Parmesan cheese is another popular garnish that adds a salty and nutty element, complementing the flavors of the soup.
Italian chicken soup is a comforting bowl of goodness that is perfect for a cozy meal or when you’re feeling under the weather. It’s a versatile dish that can be customized to your preferences by adding different vegetables or herbs. Whether enjoyed as a starter or a main course, this soup is a classic Italian comfort food that will warm you up and leave you feeling satisfied. So, here’s a recipe for Italian Chicken Soup:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (any color you prefer)
- 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 can of (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of small pasta (such as shells or macaroni)
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Grated Parmesan cheese (for garnish)
- Firstly, heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Then, add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and bell pepper to the pot. Sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Push the vegetables to one side of the pot and add the chicken pieces to the other side. Cook the chicken until it is no longer pink on the outside.
- Pour in the chicken broth and diced tomatoes with their juices. Stir in the dried basil, dried oregano, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil.
- Then, reduce the heat to low and simmer the soup for about 20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta separately according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Once the soup has simmered, add the cooked pasta to the pot and stir well. Continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes to heat the pasta through.
- Then, taste the soup and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
- Ladle the Italian chicken soup into bowls and garnish with fresh chopped parsley and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Finally, serve the soup hot and enjoy!
This Italian chicken soup is comforting, flavorful, and packed with wholesome ingredients. It’s a perfect dish for a cozy evening or to warm up during colder months.