Learn How To Make an Easy Vegan Chaallah at home. Vegan challah is a type of braided bread that is made without any animal products, such as eggs or butter, making it a great option for those who follow a vegan diet or have dietary restrictions. The dough is typically made from flour, yeast, sugar, salt, vegetable oil, and non-dairy milk, which is used to replace traditional dairy milk.
The dough is kneaded, allowed to rise, and then braided into a beautiful, intricate pattern before being baked in the oven. The resulting bread is soft and fluffy with a slightly sweet and nutty flavor. You can serve Vegan challah often as a special bread during Jewish holidays, such as Shabbat and Rosh Hashanah, but can be enjoyed any time of year as a delicious and versatile bread. It can be sliced and used for sandwiches, toasted and topped with avocado or jam, or served alongside soups and stews.
So, just give it a try and impress your family!
Here’s a recipe for vegan challah:
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp of instant yeast
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup of lukewarm non-dairy milk (such as soy or almond milk)
- 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp of warm water
- Non-dairy milk for brushing (optional)
- Sesame seeds or poppy seeds for sprinkling (optional)
- Firstly, in a small bowl, mixes the ground flaxseed with 3 tbsp of warm water and set aside to thicken for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the vegetable oil, lukewarm water, lukewarm non-dairy milk, and the flaxseed mixture.
- Then, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms. Knead the dough for 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it with a damp towel. Let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
- After the dough has risen, punch it down and divide it into three equal parts. Roll each part into a long strand and braid them together.
- Then, place the braided dough on a greased baking sheet and cover it with a damp towel. Let it rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Brush the challah with non-dairy milk and sprinkle sesame seeds or poppy seeds on top, if desired. Then, bake the challah for about 25-30 minutes, or until it is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Finally, remove the challah from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
Enjoy your delicious vegan challah!